Monday, August 3, 2009

Homemade Wine from Potosi Missouri

Many people may not know that I am actually from a very small town in Missouri named Mexico, MO. Yes it is a very original name. So when I first met my friend Jen, who is from another small town in Missouri it was friends at first site.

Okay so that is not really how the story goes. Actually we both had a very STRONG dislike for each other, until we got to know each other a lot better and now we are the best of friends. I am now almost a part of the family. It was her younger sister's birthday so out to the country I went.

Although most of the night consisted of beer drinking, you cannot go visit Jen and her family without trying her uncle's homemade wine.


Lori drinking homewade wine, yes right out of the bottle. So classy! :) The first time I experienced Jen's uncle's homemade she warned me it was strong. I was like, oh I have had plenty of wines, it cannot be that bad. Hmmm.... I should have listened, wow that stuff is tart and strong. Here we are actually trying a cherry strawberry wine.

Usually if this was more than just a "tasting" we would have poured half a wine glass full of wine and then top it off with Sprite. This helps reduce the pungent taste of the wine.


This was Rob's first time trying homemade wine. I am not quite sure he enjoyed it, however next time we will let him try it with the Sprite, it makes it much nicer. Below is a picture of the many bottles of wine their uncle has given them.





I have always considered making my own wine. How exciting would it be to have your "own wine," that you personally made. Does anyone have their own experience with homemade wine? I would be very interested in hearing the difficulty of the process, the time it took, any recipes, and how did the wine turn out.
I found a book on the subject, it is not only on winemaking, however how to make Chateau Style wine. I mean if you are going to make homemade wine, might as well go all out right?


Techniques in Home Winemaking: A Practical Guide to Making Chateau-Style Wines





No comments:

Post a Comment